Free shipping on all orders over £10 (Excluding stamps)
What to Write in a Christmas Card
Deck the halls, get the lights out of the loft, dust off the decorations and don’t forget the gifts! It’s the most wonderful time of year.
There’s plenty of things to get excited about and prepare in the lead up to Christmas, from decorations and gifts to the Christmas dinner, but what about Christmas cards? Who do you buy for? Which style do you choose? Most importantly, what do you write inside a Christmas card?
Fear not! We have a huge range of high-quality Christmas card designs right here on our website for you to browse from. With so many options, you’ll definitely find something to suit whoever it is you’re sending your Christmas cards to.
But when it comes to writing a Christmas card message, it can be tricky business. We’ve decided to compile this handy blog guide to give you the full rundown of ideas of what to write in a Christmas card for your loved ones this year.
Simple Christmas Card Messages
- Wishing you a merry Christmas and a happy new year!
- Happy Christmas to you and your family from the (your family name).
- Sending you festive greetings and a very happy Christmas.
- I hope your Christmas is filled with love and joy! Merry Christmas.
Funny Christmas Wishes
- Merry Christmas! Now where’s the turkey?
- Don’t think I’ll be seeing you sober anytime soon? Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (name).
- Oh look, it’s Christmas! You can finally blame your long-term weight gain on this holiday season. Happy Holidays!
- I hope your bills aren’t too high this season! Merry Christmas!
Religious Christmas Wishes
- As we rejoice the birth of Jesus, our saviour – welcome him in your hearts and homes! Merry Christmas.
- It’s time to open our hearts to God and let him bless us with his divine power. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.
- May you be blessed with faith, love, peace and hope this Christmas!
- Open your heart to all the blessings that will be coming your way this Christmas. Remember that Christ will always have your back. Happy holidays!
Christmas Wishes for Family
- I feel blessed to be spending another Christmas with you! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- I always look forward to this time of the year so we can all get together and devour that turkey roast.
- No one celebrates Christmas like the (your family name). Looking forward to catching up with you all.
- We’ll be missing you this Christmas. Hope you have a lovely time in (city/country).
- I can’t make it to our annual celebration but will miss you all dearly. Have a happy Christmas!
Christmas Wishes for Parents
- Thank you, mum, and dad for making Christmas extra magical with your love. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Merry Christmas both! Looking forward to beating dad on charades again this year!
- Eternally grateful for another year of enjoying the best part of the holidays with my sweet parents. Merry Christmas!
- I don’t know what I’d do without the two of you! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Christmas Messages for Friends
- Merry Christmas (name)! Wind down and relax this holiday season, you really deserve it!
- I’m so blessed to have a friend like you! Looking forward to celebrating this holiday season with you. Merry Christmas.
- You have been such a great support this year, thank you for always being there for me. Have a lovely Christmas.
- My Christmas wish has come true, by having an amazing friend like you. Merry Christmas (name).
Christmas Wishes for Husband or Wife
- Thank you for making every festive season so magical with your presence. Happy Christmas and New Year.
- Merry Christmas to the best husband/wife in the world!
- Merry Christmas to my lovely husband/wife. Thank you for always making this holiday so special.
- So blessed to have you in my life. Merry Christmas love!
Christmas Wishes for Kids
- I hope Santa gave you everything you wished for! Merry Christmas.
- Christmas is all about joy and surprises! I hope you will like your surprise. Happy Holidays!
- Sending you loads of love and blessings this Christmas. Happy holidays!
- Aren’t you getting a nice break from school! Wishing you luck, happiness and gifts this Christmas.
Christmas Wishes for Boyfriend
- Merry Christmas to the best boyfriend ever!
- Looking forward to spending this holiday season with the love of my life!
- I can’t imagine spending my Christmas with anyone but you! Happy holiday season.
- Merry Christmas to my lovely boyfriend. Now, where’s my gift?
Christmas Messages for Girlfriend
- Merry Christmas to my beautiful girlfriend. Can’t wait to spend this holiday season with you!
- There is no greater gift than spending my Christmas with you!
- I hope your Christmas is as amazing as you. Looking forward to spending some quality time with you.
- Here’s to a wonderful Christmas together! I love you (name).
Christmas Wishes for Neighbours
- Living in this area is a real pleasure because of wonderful neighbours such as yourselves. Merry Christmas!
- Wishing you a very Merry Christmas! And wanted to let you know that we appreciate your friendly smiles and waves.
- Thank you for being such amazing neighbours! Wishing you and your loved ones a wonderful Christmas.
- Neighbours often become part of the family, just like you have! Wishing you a happy Christmas.
Christmas Wishes for Clients
- Merry Christmas and wishing you all the best for the year ahead!
- It’s been a pleasure working with you! Wishing you a great holiday season!
- Wishing you some well deserved time off this Christmas. Happy holidays!
- Merry Christmas to you and your team from all of us at (your company name)!
Christmas Wishes for Colleagues
- Thank you for helping me make it through this year. Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Merry Christmas (colleague name)! I hope you have a great time with family and friends.
- It’s been a pleasure working with you this year. Happy holidays!
- Merry Christmas to my favourite (professional name e.g. chef). Wishing you loads of joy this festive season.
Now that you know what to write in a Christmas card based on your relationship with the card receiver, let’s look at some of the things you need to consider before writing the perfect Christmas message.
Who Are You Sending the Personalised Christmas Card to?
This one is the most important one, as there are certain degrees of formality when it comes to what to write in a Christmas card. If you’re doing the rounds of your local area, distributing cards from your Christmas card pack, to those who you generally give a nod or chat about the postman to on a morning, then a simple short Christmas wish such as “much love from all at number (insert your house number here)” will do the trick.
However, on the other hand, if you’ve known someone for years, like a family member or close friend, maybe even a loved one, you probably want to write something a little more heartfelt and meaningful. Or if you know they like a laugh, you could put something cheeky in there for them to enjoy.
What Length Should the Message Be?
You need to think about the length of the message you’re going to pop into the Christmas card for the people you’re sending them to.
For co-workers or neighbours, you can let the card designs do the work sentiment-wise, and you don’t need to put too much time or effort into coming up with something to write so you can keep it simple.
For people you’re close to but might not get to see very often, you might want to include a little rundown of what’s been going on in your life during the year, including milestones in your career and news of the kids, and of course, the pets if you have any. Maybe even a family portrait! Again, it doesn’t need to be overly long or massively detailed, just a brief summary will do and will often put a smile on a relative’s face, especially if they’re of an older generation who loves an update but isn’t able to see you as often as they’d like.
The same goes for long term friends, an update on your life goes a long way to adding that level of personability and thoughtfulness into a card, so is always a winner. You can also put in something specific to them and their lives, such as what they love doing that they might have not had chance to do this year, be it going to watch the cricket or heading down to the cinema.
Luckily though, most people expect a short message when it comes to Christmas cards, so you’re safe if you go all out or keep it simple. It really is up to you whether you keep it nice and brief, or if you write something a little more special and bespoke to the person you’re sending it to.
We hope our blogpost has guided you through the process of writing a Christmas card.
We have an enormous range of Christmas cards online on our website with designs to match every kind of relationship and Christmas card message. We also have a range of Christmas gift wraps to match the cards.
The Greetings Card Company
Sign up for the newsletter
Join the TGCC community and keep up to date with exclusive offers, latest arrivals & more